ThisFloridaLife started as both a love song for my homestate and a catalyst for me to get out there and enjoy my lifelong home. I dreamed of Paris, Hawaii, Tokyo, London, the Caribbean, and Italy. Those dreams seem more and more out of reach and frivolous, and so a new dream was born: enjoy my homestate. There’s work to be done.
I have not ventured out as much as my dreams have grown. During the first five months of ThisFloridaLife, I have explored two coastal destinations (one on each coast) and expanded my theme park vernacular by becoming an Annual Passholder to Universal Orlando. And of course, I have discovered new favorites in my hometown.
- Clearwater de Mayo – Our adventure through Clearwater Beach celebrated our favorite holiday-as-an-excuse-to-drink: Cinco de Mayo. Husband and I enjoyed our weekend so much that when it came time to book my birthday trip for 2013 it took an enormous amount of convincing husband to visit somewhere other than Clearwater. But rest assured, Clearwater and Tampa are both on the list for visits during 2013.
- Hollywood Half & Half – Having never been on the East Coast further South than Vero Beach, the exploration beckoned. Though we enjoyed the change of scenery, and the hotel at which we stayed, Hollywood, FL left a lot to be desired.
- An Unexpected Adventure – After indulging in too many margaritas during happy hour at Margaritaville Cafe, we skipped off to Islands of Adventure and became Annual Passholders. We’re now big fans of Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and after falling in love with Universal’s Grinchmas and Macy’s Holiday Parade, we are looking forward to many Mardi Gras visits and nights out at the Summer Concert Series.
2013 promises to bring lots more adventures and exploration. Husband and I already have three Florida trips scheduled and I am scoping out daytrips to enjoy during my weekends.
- First up is Vero Beach, FL. Though this destination may not be glamorous or overly exciting, we plan on enjoying a more laid back weekend to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
- Second is Sarasota, FL for my birthday celebration. Earlier this week I tweeted out to the Florida Lifers and asked for suggestions. Although, Marco Island and Sanibel Island are tempting, the distance from Orlando is too great for this particular trip. I am looking forward to seeing Siesta Key and visiting lots of local restaurants and shops.
- Last, but most definitely not least, we’re gonna make the 8 hour drive down to Key West, FL. I cannot wait! Although husband and I have been before, it has only been a stopover while aboard a cruise ship. This will be our first time driving down and staying for a few nights. I am hoping to spend a night in Miami too, which will also be a first for me!
Lots more of my homestate to explore. Thank you to all the Florida Lifers out there for joining me thus far. I look forward to having you along with me for the ride!
- How Harry Potter Changed Theme Parks Forever (thisfloridalife.com)
- Hollywood Half & Half – Part Two (thisfloridalife.com)
- A Very Happy Hour at Margaritaville (thisfloridalife.com)
- What’s the best beach town in Florida? (usatoday.com)
- Vero Beach – Vero Beach, FL (travelpod.com)
11 thoughts on “Living ThisFloridaLife in 2013”
WWOHP is definitely one thing to love about Florida.
You can save time and take the Key West Express from Ft Myers to Key West. Sure makes for a relaxing trip home to! http://www.seakeywestexpress.com/
I keep thinking about doing that instead, part of me wants to do the road trip, blasting Jimmy Buffett with the windows down.
Then again we may have to cancel the trip after discovering a leak in our kitchen 😦
Key West is awesome. Seven Mile Bridge is one of my favorites (I love bridges that are over water). It took about four and a half hours from Miami, but we stopped along the way, had lunch, etc…etc… I’m not a car-tripper by any means; I much prefer to just step off a plane and be there, but I’m actually glad that we did the drive (just from Miami). The water view from the bridge is just beautiful. Best of luck!
Thanks Sandy, yes that drive over the bridge is a real draw for me. Of course, I am sure once I have done it that I will prefer to travel by faster means in the future.
I look forward to the New Year and reading more from This Florida Life! I really enjoy your blog. Thanks so much for sharing. 🙂
Thanks so much, I really do appreciate that. I wish you a very happy new year and thank you for reading.
Have enjoyed your take on our mutual home state and look forward to more…Have a safe, happy new year
Thank you so much and thank you for being a Florida Lifer 🙂 Looking forward to seeing more of your travels as well. Warm wishes to you!