It’s coming to an end. One month of Summer left. It comes quick doesn’t it? As I spend Saturday morning cleaning house and doing laundry, I frequently glance outside, peering through the windows, a look of longing in my eyes. And it hits me, there’s a few things I’ve just got to do before Summer is over…. and I think my Florida Lifers might want to check a few of these items off their list too.
Summer in Florida Must Do’s
- Visit one of Florida’s beautiful springs: Here in Florida we are beyond blessed with a myriad of fresh, coldwater springs around nearly every corner. Let’s face it, it is freaking hot in Florida during the Summer. The cold, crisp water flowing freely through Florida’s springs is beyond refreshing. Pack a picnic, some intertubes, and sit in the water all day. Sadly the health of Florida’s springs is being threatened. So while you visit the beautiful springs be sure to learn what you can do to help. Click here to check out a list of Florida’s springs.
- Get your fill of Summer beer: I am a big fan of pumpkin and Oktoberfest beers, but no beer is more refreshing than an ice cold Summer beer. Light, crisp and citrusy there’s tons to choose from and they are going to be gone fast! So grab a cooler, fill it up with ice and your favorite Summer beer, and beat the heat with a frosty cold one…. or two.
- Sink your teeth into Florida’s Summer fruits: One of the best ways to stay hydrated is to eat fruits and veggies. Right now it’s melon season. It just isn’t Summer if you haven’t had some fresh watermelon with that sticky pink juice all over your chin and fingers. And right now peaches are at their peak too. Be sure you support local farmers and take advantage of flavorful Fresh from Florida foods.
- Pools and popsicles: Gather the kids or the kids at heart and find the nearest pool. But before you do, stock up on popsicles and other frozen treats. Fill up your freezer and splash around the pool with popsicles in hand.
- Fire up that grill: It doesn’t matter how many times you’ve fired up the grill already this Summer. Is there any other season that can be crowned “Grill Season?” Grill whatever you fancy, hot dogs, burgers, steaks, shrimp, veggies, whatever, just usher the family outdoors and gather around the flame. Every food tastes better when it’s cooked over a flame.
- Enjoy the Summer sunset: Ideally, there’s no better place to watch a Summer sunset than at the beach. Still, if you can’t make it to the coast, get out there and watch the sizzling Summer sun sneak away. Soon, it will get dark early again so enjoy the gorgeous sunsets while they’re still late in the day.
- Get your hurricane supplies: If you’ve lived in Florida long enough, you know that the worst is yet to come. The final months of Hurricane season are just around the corner. Soon we’ll be listening to the news every week with a new dreaded name to learn wondering if this one will be the one to cross our path. So before it starts to get dodgy, stock up on water, batteries, non-perishable food, candles, and keep those gas tanks filled.
Well, those are the highlights, what are your Summer Must Do’s?
- Things I Love About Summer (kingdomacademyhomeschool.wordpress.com)
- Exploring Florida’s Beachside Beauty with East Coast Paddle (thisfloridalife.com)
- Seasons Come and Seasons Go (thisfloridalife.com)
- Get to know the Sunshine State… (suwaneebufordyounglife.wordpress.com)